A dash cam is not merely a recording gadget but a useful device capable of other practical purposes. Read on and find out why every car owner should install a dash cam! The number of car owners installing a dash cam has been increasing over the past few years. Why? It’s simply because of the safety benefits which have come to light from having one. Dash cams not only record your trips and events but have also proved essential for legal protection against lawsuits and insurance fraud. Learn why having a dash cam is handy when you need it most, in this article!
Dash Cam: Capturing Every Moment on the Road
Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam Dual 1920x1080P Front and Inside Dash Camera (2.5K 2560x1440P Single Front) 1.5″ 310° Car Camera w/Infrared Night Vision, Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, Support 256GB max
- 【Dual 1080P Dash Camera For Uber Lyft Taxi】Best dash cam to record car interior picked by Wirecutter. Based on powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU, advanced Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor (inside car camera) and OV4689 (front car camera) image sensor, the dual 1080P dash cam simultaneously captures road front (170°) and inside cabin (140°) in crystal details at dual 1920x1080P 30fps. Or utilize the front cam only to record road front at 2560x1440P@30fps or 1920x1080P@60fps, capturing license plates clear.
- 【Infrared Night Vision w/Sony Sensor】The interior facing camera utilizes a Sony IMX323 sensor, 4 IR LED lights and f/2.0 aperture, which can handle low light conditions and ensures flawless video footage even when the passenger cabin is dark. F/1.8 6-glass lens front facing cam and unique HDR video system automatically balance the light and dark areas of the video.
- 【Parking Mode & Microphone & Auto LCD OFF】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to automatically record once detects motion in front. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won’t be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function automatically takes photos at specified intervals.
1. You’ll Have Evidence of a Car Accident
One of the worst things that could happen to anyone is getting into a car accident. The primary reason why a number of car owners install a dash cam is to find out who is responsible for the collision.
Your dash cam will provide investigators or insurance companies real-time and efficient proof in the event of an accident. Should there be any trial, the liable party will have to pay for the damages the car or the driver incurred.
2. It is Your Way Out of a Ticket
If you were stopped by a law enforcer and accused of a violation you knew you didn’t commit, have them check your dash cam footage. This will help you to avoid or contest a potential ticket. More often than not, a moving traffic violation will give you points on your driving record and strike you with higher car insurance charges. However, beating a ticket will prevent you from paying a huge insurance surcharge.
In a related scenario, a dashboard camera for a car can also be instrumental in shedding some light in social issues of today confronting both sides of the alley. Both authorities and civilians are able to defend themselves against accusations from either side with a dash cam.
3. You Can Deter Insurance Fraud
Insurance fraud is continuously becoming a problem for honest drivers. On one hand, there are drivers who intentionally cause car accidents and put the blame on others to extort them. They also fake injuries so they can collect a large amount from their insurance companies.
There are also those people who will purposely run into oncoming traffic. They don’t care even if they break an arm as long as they can get a nice fat insurance settlement.
Having a dash cam can record these scenarios and will help you and authorities catch the one who staged the “crash for cash” scheme. This will deter scammers from taking money from you for things you did not do.
4. You Can Watch Your Unattended Vehicle
When you leave your car in the parking lot or in the driveway, you don’t really know what might happen to it. Your ride could be vandalized or get scraped by the car next to you. A dash cam can record the incident and help you find out who the culprit is. There are dash cams you can set throughout the entire time you’re away without leaving the engine on.
YI 2.7″ Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey
- The ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) – the most advanced and optimized visual recognition algorithms ensure safe driving by providing real time Lane Departure
- Emergency recording feature – Enabled by G-sensor technology, the camera automatically saves footage in the events leading up to a collision and immediately after
- High Definition Image and First-class Night vision – 1920x1080p 60fps high speed video recording captures fast moving scenes and creates high resolution images in high speed. Note: Requires 8 – 64GB Class10 or above microSD card, sold separately
5. It is a Solution for Road Bullies
When you’re out on the road, there will be instances where you encounter bad drivers. These drivers are reckless, irresponsible, and can put your life and your passengers in danger. However, having a dash cam can help you report these drivers to authorities and have them pay for their wrongdoings. Report drunk drivers and incidents of road rage to make roads a safer place for everybody.
6. It Has Useful Features
Nowadays, the best dash cam for a car comes with more than just recording capabilities. There’s a plethora of features and functions to help you while you’re out on the road. There are cams with a GPS Logger feature, which records the precise position, time, and speed of your car throughout your journey.
You can also register your destinations onto a log file so you can manage your trip without any trouble. Others have motion sensors which detect any movement going on around your vehicle. They also come with a night vision functionality so you can still record footage even under low light conditions.
The best dash camera features will prove very useful for you and your family’s safety. Besides road accidents, auto thefts and other criminal activities can be recorded or avoided with these dash cam features.
7. You Can Capture the Unexpected
There are a lot of things that can happen when you’re out on the road. Although the main reason for installing a dash cam is for your safety and legal protection, you can also capture countless surprising things. You may catch accidents involving other cars due to a whitetail darting out on the road or because of a sudden landslide.
There was one extraordinary incident where a Russian driver’s dash cam caught a meteor entering Earth’s atmosphere. The video went viral and ended up having millions of views on Youtube.
Watch this video from Top15s and check out these nerve-racking events caught on dash cam!
We can’t stress enough the importance of having dash cam with you wherever you drive. It is a tool to help defend you against false insurance claims and other legal disputes. You can also catch road bullies, vandals, and be the key to their apprehension. Inadvertently, your dash camera can also be instrumental in bringing justice to random people involved in accidents or criminal incidents. With a dash camera, ‘your word against mine’ is no match, the evidence is on record! With these practical reasons, we believe a dash cam for your car is in order!
Do you already own a dash cam? How is it working for you? Share your experiences or even your videos in the comments below!
Up Next: The Ultimate Survival Gun Safe Guide
If you’re looking for useful survival gear that you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!
The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on January 22, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Last update on 2018-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API